Galway East is a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects 4 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries Edit
The constituency was created for the 1937 general election, under the Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935, when the former Galway constituency was split into Galway East and Galway West. It was abolished in 1948 and recreated in 1961. It was abolished again in 1969 and recreated in its current form in 1977.
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 defines the constituency as:
- "In the county of Galway the electoral divisions of:
- Abbeygormacan, Ahascragh, Aughrim, Ballinasloe Rural, Ballymacward, Clonfert, Clontuskert, Kellysgrove, Kilconnell, Killaan, Killallaghtan, Killoran, Killure, Kilmacshane, Kiltormer, Kylemore, Laurencetown, Lismanny, Oatfield, in the former Rural District of Ballinasloe No. 1;
- Ballinastack, Ballymoe, Ballynakill, Boyounagh, Creggs, Curraghmore, Glennamaddy, Island, Kilcroan, Kiltullagh, Raheen, Scregg, Shankill, Templetogher, Toberroe, in the former Rural District of Glennamaddy;
- Ardamullivan, Ardrahan, Ballycahalan, Beagh, Cahermore, Cappard, Castletaylor, Doorus, Drumacoo, Gort, Kilbeacanty, Killeely, Killeenavarra, Killinny, Kiltartan, Kilthomas, Kinvarra, Rahasane, Skehanagh, in the former Rural District of Gort;
- Aille, Athenry, Ballynagar, Bracklagh, Bullaun, Cappalusk, Castleboy, Cloonkeen, Colmanstown, Craughwell, Derrylaur, Drumkeary, Graigabbey, Grange, Greethill, Kilchreest, Kilconickny, Kilconierin, Killimor, Killogilleen, Kilmeen, Kilreekill, Kilteskill, Kiltullagh, Lackalea, Leitrim, Loughatorick, Loughrea Rural, Loughrea Urban, Marblehill, Mountain, Movode, Raford, Tiaquin, Woodford, in the former Rural District of Loughrea;
- Annagh, Ballynakill, Caltra, Castleblakeney, Castleffrench, Clonbrock, Cloonkeen, Cooloo, Derryglassaun, Killeroran, Killian, Mount Bellew, Mounthazel, Taghboy, in the former Rural District of Mount Bellew;
- Abbeyville, Ballyglass, Coos, Derrew, Drummin, Eyrecourt, Killimor, Kilmalinoge, Kilquain, Meelick, Moat, Pallas, Portumna, Tiranascragh, Tynagh, in the former Rural District of Portumna;
- Abbey East, Abbey West, Addergoole, Annaghdown, Ballinderry, Ballinduff, Ballynapark, Beaghmore, Belclare, Carrownagur, Carrowrevagh, Claretuam, Clonbern, Cloonkeen, Cummer, Donaghpatrick, Doonbally, Dunmore North, Dunmore South, Foxhall, Headford, Hillsbrook, Kilbennan, Kilcoona, Killeany, Killeen, Killererin, Killower, Killursa, Kilmoylan, Kilshanvy, Levally, Milltown, Monivea, Moyne, Ryehill, Toberadosh, Tuam Rural, Tuam Urban, in the former Rural District of Tuam;
- and the town of Ballinasloe."